Lawyers for Alec Baldwin seek dismissal of second lawsuit against Rust
Alec Baldwin’s lawyers have appealed for the second lawsuit against the actor in the shooting death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins to be dismissed.
Reps said nothing in the allegations made by script supervisor Mamie Mitchell, suggesting anyone knew the prop contained live ammunition leading up to the “unprecedented” incident.
The fatal shooting happened on the set of Rust, in Santa Fe, New Mexico, in November.
Mitchell’s lawsuit claims Baldwin fired the gun when it was not intended in the Western’s script.
“Nothing in the plaintiff’s allegations suggests that any of the defendants, including Mr. Baldwin, intended the prop gun to be loaded with live ammunition,” the attorneys said, in documents shared by US media.
“Furthermore, nothing in the plaintiff’s allegations suggests that any of the defendants knew that the prop gun contained live ammunition.
“The absence of such allegations is of course logical as the incident is apparently unprecedented in the film industry.”
The submissions were made in Los Angeles Superior Court on January 24, according to court documents.
Baldwin has previously been accused of playing ‘Russian roulette’ when he fired the gun without checking it and without a gunsmith doing so in his presence, by Ms Mitchell’s lawyer Gloria Allred.
He is also facing another lawsuit filed by the film’s lighting chief, Serge Svetnoy, over the incident.
In addition to Baldwin, the two lawsuits name nearly two dozen defendants associated with the film, including David Halls, the assistant director who gave Baldwin the gun; and Hannah Gutierrez Reed, who was in charge of weapons on set.